Despite federal, state, and local laws governing real property transactions in the New York City area, disputes often lead to real estate litigation. From contract disputes to conflicts over title issues to land use and zoning, it takes an experienced real estate litigation attorney to protect your rights and interests. That’s where Levy Goldenberg LLP comes in.
Our firm represents buyers, sellers, owners, developers, landlords, tenants, and real estate professionals in real estate litigation involving residential and commercial property. While we prefer to resolve real estate disputes through negotiations, we are well-equipped to litigate if necessary. Contact our office today to get started with an experienced real estate litigation attorney.
Types of Real Estate Litigation Our Firm Handles in New York City
We have extensive experience litigating all types of real estate disputes, including:
- Breach of contract – When a party to a purchase and sales agreement breaches the contract, the other party can file a lawsuit to recover monetary damages or obtain another legal remedy, such as specific performance.
- Breach of warranty – A seller who puts their property on the market guarantees that they hold clear title to that property. If the seller cannot pass a clear title, the buyer can file a lawsuit for breach of warranty.
- Quiet title – A quiet title action is a lawsuit to establish property ownership if there are disputes between multiple parties with a claim or interest in a property. Establishing a clear owner will “quiet” claims arising from clouded property transfers that have occurred in the past.
- Easement disputes – Property owners often face disputes with local governments, utilities, and neighbors over the validity or scope of easements, property boundaries, fences, nuisance, and variance issues.
- Land use and zoning disputes – Our firm regularly litigates land use and zoning issues on behalf of zoning applicants and local governments in federal, state, and local courts and represents clients in related administrative proceedings.
- Landlord-tenant disputes – We represent both sides in a wide range of landlord-tenant issues, such as termination and eviction, lease terms, health and safety standards, security deposit limits and returns, landlord access to rental property, fair housing rights, and discrimination.
- Title defects – Our real estate litigators represent clients in title claims arising from defects, such as liens against the property, including mechanic’s liens, tax levies, and undisclosed easements.
- Partition actions – When the owners of a jointly held property, for example, through an inheritance, cannot agree on what to do with it, one of the parties can file a partition action to obtain a court order dividing the property into appropriately proportionate parcels.
- Commercial and residential leases – We negotiate and litigate disputes involving maintenance and repair, common area maintenance (CAM) charges, withholding rent, assignments, and renewal options.
- Construction litigation – We represent owners, developers, architects, engineers, contractors, and subcontractors in disputes arising from professional negligence, construction defects, nonperformance, and insurance issues.
- Foreclosures – We represent lenders in foreclosure proceedings and provide foreclosure defense strategies to property owners facing default, such as loan workouts and short sales.
- Fraudulent conveyance — Fraudulent conveyance or fraudulent transfer occurs when an individual intentionally transfers real property to another with the intent to defraud, hinder, or delay a creditor’s ability to collect on a debt and typically arises in the context of a bankruptcy filing.
At Levy Goldenberg, we leverage our knowledge of New York Real Property Law and negotiating skills to find innovative solutions to real estate disputes and work to protect the interests of our clients in and out of the courtroom.
How We Can Help
You can depend on us to provide strategic, cost-effective representation with your budget top of mind. When you meet with us, we will take the time to understand your objectives and explore all your options. Real estate litigation in New York can be costly and time-consuming, but many clients can benefit from pursuing mediation and arbitration.
Notably, real estate contracts typically include a mandatory arbitration clause. We regularly represent clients throughout Manhattan and the other four boroughs in complex arbitration proceedings and have a track record of achieving positive outcomes. At the same time, we are fully prepared to litigate any real estate dispute and will provide aggressive courtroom representation if necessary. Our negotiating and trial skills will give you a distinct advantage at the bargaining table and in the courtroom.
Contact Our Experienced Real Estate Litigation Attorneys in New York City
If you are involved in a real estate dispute in Manhattan, trust Levy Goldenberg LLP to provide you with informed representation and professional service. When you work with us, we will protect your interests and investment. Contact our office today to schedule your initial consultation.
Levy Goldenberg LLP represents buyers, sellers, owners, developers, landlords, tenants, and real estate professionals in real estate litigation matters throughout New York, including New York City, Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau, Suffolk, and Westchester Counties.